Online and mobile check-in frequently asked questions
How do I use online check-in?
- Select passengers for check-in
- Upgrade on eligible flights if you wish to
- Manage checked baggage
- Select seats
- Pay for any purchases (upgrades, pre-paid Extra Bags available on Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flights and seat selection)
- Enter passport details and other entry and transit requirements
Note: Ensure that the passport entered is the passport the passenger will be flying on.
If you have completed online check-in successfully you will be issued with your boarding pass which you can:
- Have emailed to you for printing
- Save for printing later
- Pick up at the airport from the dedicated online check-in counter
- Air NZ mobile app users: your mobile boarding pass will be downloaded automatically and available from within the app.
Please note: If you are required complete check-in at the airport to collect your boarding pass or failed to check-in, please arrive at the airport before normal check-in closes for your flight.
When can I check-in online?
- 30 minutes before domestic New Zealand flights
- 90 minutes before international flights
When checking in online can I change any details or add more passengers to my booking?
The flights you have chosen and number of passengers on your booking cannot change. However you can seat select, pay for prepaid Extra Bags and upgrade on selected flights.
If I have checked in online can I cancel check-in?
No. If you have checked online and do not plan to travel, please contact us.
Can I use online or mobile check-in for other passengers in my booking?
Yes. You can check in any passengers on your booking at the same time or individually.
For groups of more than 9 passengers you will be required to enter the passenger’s names as shown on their passport.
Mobile check-in is not available for bookings with 9 or more passengers.
If I have checked in online or my mobile, what should I do at the airport?
If you are required to complete check-in at the airport to collect your boarding pass or failed to check-in, please arrive at the airport before normal check-in closes for your flight. You can complete check-in at a kiosk or online check-in counter (where available).
If you have checked in successfully and have checked baggage, please drop your bags before bag drop closes.
Bag drop closes:
- 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of domestic New Zealand flights
- 60 minutes before the scheduled departure of international flights
- 75 minutes before the departure of flights departing from:
- London Heathrow
- All US airports
- All Canadian airports
Can I buy Extra Bags at the airport if I have checked in online?
Yes. You can buy Extra Bags at the airport. Excess baggage charges apply.
Can I check-in online?
Yes, online and mobile check-in is available for travel starting on Air New Zealand operated flights.
Unaccompanied minors and some special service requests are unable to check in online.
What should I do if I did not complete online check-in or mobile check-in successfully?
If you are required to complete check-in at the airport to collect your boarding pass or failed to check-in, please arrive at the airport before normal check-in closes for your flight. You can complete check-in at a kiosk or online check-in counter.