About our reporting
Data and commentary in Air New Zealand's 2023 Sustainability Report is for the year starting 1 July 2022 and ending 30 June 2023 unless otherwise stated.
Air New Zealand's organisational boundary for sustainability reporting encompasses the companies listed in the 2023 GHG Inventory Report which incorporates legal entities or facilities over which Air New Zealand has operational control, unless otherwise stated.
We welcome your feedback and comments - please contact us.
Our material issues
Our purpose at Air New Zealand is to enrich our country through connecting New Zealanders to each other and New Zealand to the world. Our material issues relate to how Air New Zealand delivers on this and creates value for our stakeholders and our business.
Each year we identify our material issues based on the following factors:
- Significance of the issue to stakeholders – including our customers, employees, partners, investors and the communities in which we operate
- Importance of the issue to Air New Zealand
- Air New Zealand's ability to control and/or influence the issue
Our material issues inform our strategic priorities, sustainability approach and reporting. In 2021 we released a new Sustainability Framework that contains, our strategy, focus areas and associated targets.
We engage with a wide range of stakeholders, internally and externally, to identify our material issues. We also consider:
- Feedback from customers, investors and communities
- Feedback from our Sustainability Advisory Panel, who are subject matter experts in a wide range of topics, including sustainable development, Māori culture and intercultural understanding, conservation, sustainable tourism, climate policy, aviation industry economics, sustainable consumption and societal wellbeing
- Topics raised by our Board of Directors
- Feedback from our Executive team and Senior Leaders Forum
- Risks identified in our Enterprise Risk Management Profile and business planning processes
- Engagement with key industry and sustainability bodies
Our material issues for 2023 that we have reported on, are:
- Caring for New Zealanders
- Climate action
- Driving towards a circular economy
- Sustainable tourism