Fare Hold FAQs
What is Fare Hold?
Fare Hold lets you reserve fares for your selected itinerary at the displayed price for up to 3 days in exchange for the Fare Hold fee. Fare Hold gives you time to free up funds, or confirm travel and accommodation details with your travel companions, without having to worry whether the fares might go up in price!
Once you’ve paid the Fare Hold fee, you’ll have 3 days to confirm your booking by paying for your fares in full. If you decide that you no longer want those flights, simply do nothing, and they will cancel automatically.
Please note: the Fare Hold fee is not refundable, it is not deducted from the final cost of your ticket, nor is it refunded if you elect not to proceed with the purchase of your fares. For fares to and from the United States, the Fare Hold fee is refundable if the booking is cancelled in 24 hours.
How do I use Fare Hold?
- Choose your flights on the Air New Zealand website.
- If your itinerary is eligible for Fare Hold a “Fare Hold” button will appear at the bottom of the “Create Itinerary” screen. Select this to hold your fares.
- Complete a few details on the Fare Hold page and pay the Fare Hold fee.
- We’ll send you a Fare Hold confirmation email, which will include a booking reference and a link back to your booking.
- We’ll hold your itinerary for you (at the same price) for 3 days.
- Click on the link in your confirmation email to return to your booking, complete the traveller details and pay for your flights within the 3 day period. If you no longer want to complete your booking, you can simply let your booking lapse.
What flights can I use Fare Hold for?
Fare Hold is only available for certain Air New Zealand operated flights booked online on the Air New Zealand website 22 days prior to the intended date of travel. Whether Fare Hold is available for your itinerary will depend on your travel dates, fare conditions and itinerary.
Fare Hold is not available to reserve fares:
- for Economy Skycouch™;
- for Works Deluxe;
- that require or contain a promo code; or
- that have a “deal” flag attached to them on the “Create Itinerary” page of the online booking and are domestic New Zealand, Tasman or Pacific Island fares.
What is the cost to Fare hold?
See our Fare hold fees
How long is the Fare Hold for?
Midnight on the 3rd day from making the booking eg for a booking made at 21:22 on 3rd Jan, payment is required by midnight on 6th Jan.
How do I retrieve a Fare Hold booking and pay in full?
- We’ll send you an email confirmation and reminder of your fare hold expiry. Use the link in this email to retrieve your booking and pay in full.
- Or retrieve your booking from the Air New Zealand homepage by entering your booking reference (PNR) and last name and email address in the Your Bookings tool
- You can also call the contact centre (there will be a service fee to complete the booking)
Can I change any details or add more passengers when paying my Fare Hold in full?
The flights you have chosen and number of passengers travelling cannot change. However you can change the passenger name when you return to complete the booking.
Can I cancel a Fare Hold booking and not pay in full?
Yes. You can either retrieve your booking and select ‘cancel this booking’ or do nothing and it will expire at the time stated.
What if I miss the expiry time for the Fare Hold?
Sorry, if you miss the expiry time your booking will be cancelled and any pricing and availability will be lost.
Do I get a reminder to pay my Fare Hold?
Yes, a reminder to pay in full is sent to the email address on the Fare Hold 24 hours before it’s due to expire.
Can I get a refund of the Fare Hold if I change my mind?
No the Fare Hold fee is non-refundable.